Sunday, April 17, 2011

Insane Weekend

I had a great first week teaching the womens BJJ class at Combat Club. I had a really good mix of ladies. A few who had no experience whatsoever and some who did. It was really cool to be able to get to know them and their reasons for participating. I started with the basic fundamentals and incorporated some Ginastica Naturalthat I use in my routine. If you never tried it, you should! Or catch a seminar with Alvaro Romano. He is well worth it and he is all over the globe (seriously)!

They seemed to progress well over the week. They are really becoming more comfortable on the mats. Most of them had expressed that they were skittish of co-ed classes because of a brutish experience with a training partner at one time or another. Some were just a tad intimidated in general. Others just wanted a safe environment to train technique without the worry of a guy muscling her right off the bat and getting hurt. I got just about every shape, size and personality training. And they were quite shocked that I encouraged questions.

Tomorrow, we are gonna step it up a bit. I had a sick seminar that I attended this weekend in Beaufort, South Carolina at my friend, Abe Stem's academy. It was with US Grappling's black belt, Andrew Smith He's clinzy's biz partner). This guy was phenomenal. Never seen a guy so flexible or insightful in BJJ. His entire seminar was Q&A. It was slotted for 3 hours and ended up lasting over 5! Every person in attendance got the chance to ask questions about their problem positions/submissions. No one left without an answer. Some with multiple solutions. I walked away with a several pages of notes! Can't wait to try them out..then I will share em! LOL!

By a strange stroke of luck, I took a different route instead of my usual to get to SC. Good thing, because we missed the tornadoes that struck the interstate I normally take and also the town I live in. It did considerable damage in out town..missed my house, but only by a mile. Literally. Everything a few streets over was smashed to bits. I guess it's a blessing to be so obsessed over BJJ that I just up and travel hours away to pick up seminars. My poor English Bulldog was a ball of nerves when I got home..he gets really freaked about storms..I didn't even know we were having bad weather! Next time I will pay more attention to the news!

1 comment:

  1. Just been watching the news and talking to some training partners via facebook...the damage is unbelievable. Dusty said 19 people alone were killed on ONE street...his! They just found a car submerged in the river with 5 people in it, 2 adults and 3 kids still strapped in their carseats. So sad and heartbreaking. Workers and volunteers are still searching for victims. After class, I'm going out to volunteer with clean up. Base housing was hit pretty bad as well as some out in town areas. Since it hit on a Saturday..a lot of folks were at home, so you can only imagine...

    ReplyDelete