Tuesday, April 12, 2011

New beginnings aren't always a bad thing

So I went on a vacation to Texas for 10 days to see my daughter graduate from the Air Force boot camp (yes, I'm that old!). It was break I really needed. I also got to get back to my original academy. It was great to see old friends and training partners who have seen me grow from my very first class. Those people are more family than friends. On my last day there, I was promoted. I was super stoked!

Then I had to come home. It's no secret that I train at two different schools in NC. One is a karate/pancrase geared school; the other is a Ribeiro affiliate. I volunteer at the Ribeiro one to instruct women's self defense. It's a charity based gym, so that's a bonus to support a program that gives back to the community. I try to train in as many places as I can, taking in seminars all over. I remember when I was upset about moving from Texas and leaving behind my Relson Gracie academy...Georgette told me that cross pollination is good. And she was right. There was nothing wrong with trying a new style or new school.

I was happy to be home to get back to my usual training schedule and diet. I ate completely too much good food in Texas. I came home to a new FENOM gi from my husband for my birthday and I loved it! All my gifts are almost always BJJ related, which I am totally okay with! I kind of got a distant reception at the karate place, but that is ok. It's a small world and who know if someone read my blog. From what I was told they were offended I promoted elsewhere. I certainly never set out with the intent of being hurtful to others, but what I post is my opinion and my feelings. I've pretty much had to deal with the awkwardness by not going anymore. It's sad really when I was one of the most regular students there.

On to the good news..the Ribeiro school was so excited for me. They asked me to join staff and teach the ladies only BJJ class ( under direction of our senior belt of course). We are now the only place that offers a ladies only class in our area. I am quite taken back to be offered this honor. I am truly flattered and nervous about it. I hope I don't let them down and all that. I know most of the ladies that asked for this class and they asked for me to do it. No pressure, right? LOL. I just really want to do a good job and do them justice. But I'm willing to step it up and share my love of BJJ with these ladies.

So wish me luck in my new adventure..I'm sure I'll be posting a lot more. I'd love to hear from my more seasoned BJJ friends.
Any advice is welcome..

3 comments:

  1. Congrats! That's awesome stuff!

    As for the karate school...meh. I saw your last post on their testing policies. (Double meh.) You could always point out that you trained at the Relson school a lot longer/first, and that those instructors have invested a lot in you and really wanted to be the ones to promote you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. True. I've been once or twice there and it's pretty much an awkward feeling there. No biggie though. I'll most likely stick to where I'm working. Looking forward to my seminar with Andrew Smith tomorrow in Beaufort, SC. On Tuesday, there is one with Relson Gracie in Savannah, GA. Hope you guys have a weekend too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Again, congrats! Cool that it's sort of worked out, as at least you don't have to deal with the weird promotion system at the karate school.

    I'm excited to hear how the women's class goes: lots of bloggers with teaching experience now (like Leslie, Elyse, clinzy, Kintanon and you), so it will be interesting to compare how you've all been finding it. :)

    ReplyDelete